The Lookout Emergency Aid Society has an idea how residents can look good, do good and feel good.
The society is on the hunt for volunteers to help with Toque Tuesday, an annual fundraiser that's taking place on Tuesday, Feb. 5 at locations around the Royal City.
"We do all the SkyTrain stations at the high-volume times," said Dave Brown, community services manager with Lookout. "I need volunteers for that."
Volunteers will also be selling toques at New Westminster Public Library and Douglas College. Toques are $10 and proceeds help address homelessness.
"We have got black and red," Brown said of this year's toques. "Those are the colors for this year."
Now in its 16th year, the national campaign aims to "put a cap" on homelessness. It's estimated there are 200,000 homeless individuals in Canada and more who are at risk of homelessness.
"The funds we raise selling toques help fund our shelters, housing and programs," Brown said. "But there's more to it than that. On Toque Tuesday, we're able to reach a lot of people and create awareness about homelessness in our communities and how solutions are working."
According to a press release, 80 per cent of the funds raised this year will stay in the communities where the money is raised. In Metro Vancouver, money will go to Lookout and the Pacific Community Resources Society, with the remaining 20 per cent going to Raising the Roof's national projects that are aimed at long-term solutions to homelessness.
A press release states that Raising the Roof has granted more than $3.3 million to 145 agencies in 70 communities across Canada as a result of money raised from previous Toque Tuesday campaigns.
Anyone interested in volunteering and selling toques in New Westminster or Burnaby can call Dave Brown at 778-288-8887.