Two local businesses are back in business after being exposed to smoke.
A small fire occurred on June 25 at 46 Sixth Street about 6: 30 p.m. Fire inspector Brent Joel said there was minimal structural damage to the building, but the contents of the Grand Central Consignment shop suffered smoke damage.
According to Joel, the property owner had hired a company to get rid of weeds in the sidewalk around the property. It's suspected that the fire was ignited when the contractor used a "tiger torch" to get rid of the weeds where the sidewalk foundation meets the building.
"It burned up the wall," he said.
A couple of hours after the stores closed, New Westminster Fire and Rescue Services was called to a fire at the downtown building.
"The guys rolled up and smoke is rolling out," Joel said. "They pulled the wall apart and they extinguished it. They ripped about a four-by-eight foot section of the wall."
Grand Central Consignment and neighbour Red Brick Home and Garden have since reopened.